Now Hiring.

Recently we heard a presentation from the Cleveland Institute of Art (CIA). During the presentation, the representative spoke about some of the potential career paths for a person interested in art and design and some of the correlating majors at CIA. I’m pretty confident that you were already aware of some of the careers in the arts (like graphic design), but I’m pretty certain that there may have been a few that were new to you. Take a few minutes to visit the CIA website including the academic majors and alumni profiles pages (see links below). Choose a major that interests you and review some of the alumni profiles. Afterwards, introduce the rest of us to the CIA alumni whose job most interests you. What is their job and job title? What kinds of projects do they work on? Do they work alone or on a team? Where are they located? What resonated with you? As always, your response should be smart, well written, and at least 200 words.

Academic Majors

Alumni Profiles

1. Hanna says:

The CIA alumni that interests me most is Trisha Barkman, who graduated from the Cleveland Institute of Art in 2006 — after she’d graduated, she had moved back home to Brooklyn. Barkman’s title is Producer, and she majored in the field of photography and video. Barkman works on documentary films and works for Peter Yang Pictures and Brooklyn Underground Films. She has worked with various publications such as “Rolling Stone” and “GQ”, and even produced “Journey to Planet X”, which was showcased at the Tribeca Film Festival. Her work drew me in because of the simple fact her field of work seemed to be more fun, and if I were to major in photography and video I would want my job to be fun. Besides the enjoyment aspect to it, her accomplishments in photography are something I can see myself looking up to, and I appreciate her work ethic. Barkman had to work hard to where she is and I think I’d be crazy not to admire her for that. I looked at a few images from Peter Yang Pictures, and their style of photography is something I’d like to reach one day. That is why Trisha Barkman is the CIA alumni that interested me most.

2. Alexia says:

Wesley Burt is an alumni for the major of drawing. His job title is Senior Concept Artist. He has worked for all the Transformer movies. He developed the characters for the movies. He also creates characters, enviroments, and storyboards for video games. Burt works at a company called Massive Black but he workes alone. He is located in San Francisco. What resonated with me about Burt was that he helped develop characters from a very well known movie and i believe that is an amazing goal to achieve. Creating his own characters for video games and movies shows that he has a very opened mind and thinks in different ways. He seems like the person to not go forward with the first idea that came into his mind. Which is a good thing for a great artist.

3. Allie says:

A major from Cleveland Institute of Art that caught my attention was game design. Graduating students can go into careers such as game designer, storyboard artist, animator and more. On the other hand, students don’t have to study game design specifically in order to get these jobs. Wesley Burt, for example, graduated in 2004 with a drawing major. He works as a concept artist and has developed characters for such things as the Transformer movies. He has also created characters and environments for video games. Wesley has even done storyboarding for video games. His official title is a senior concept artist. I found it interesting that he didn’t have to major in game design to end up in that field. What he does is something that I’ve considered doing myself as I really enjoy creating characters and stories and environments. Not only does he do game design, but he has also exhibits his work in San Francisco galleries. The organization he is a part of is called Massive Black, I found that it is a website where his portfolio can be found along with other amazing artists.

https://massiveblack.com/portfolio/wes/ (Link to the Massive Black page where his art can be found)

4. Brandon says:

One major I found very interesting from Cleveland Institute of Art was game design. Playing video games is one of my favorite things to do either alone or with friends. I started to think about career choices and what I could do that I would love and video games fell under that list. Robert Brown, an assistant professor and co-chair of game design at CIA, has been working with game design professionally for years. Although, he almost didn’t become a game designer however. He had other interests including martial arts, acting, video games and drawing. Brown tried to be a tornado chaser but quickly found out he didn’t like getting so close. He wanted to do something that could include that of martial arts, video games, and drawing and found that he could make his own video games and draw his own characters. After finishing CIA in 2007, Brown worked as a game developer for EA Sports in Florida and created characters for NFL and NCAA football games for the Playstation and Xbox 360. I chose Robert Brown because we have a similar common interest which is the love of video games.

5. Alex Shuherk says:

A major that interests me in the arts is animation, Zack Petroc works within the sculpture and animation field, he interests me the most out of them all because he is at the top of the board with animation and he won an award Outstanding Performance of an Animated Character for sculpting in Big Hero 6. Zach works with Disney Feature Animation and his job title is Model Supervisor this guy resonates with me because he sculpted Big Hero and that relates to me because I’m interested in animation of the such. Zach also has his own studio named the Zack Petroc Studios located in Los Angelos, California.

6. The major from CIA that caught my eye while browsing was animation. Basically, animation is how the dialogue of an otherwise stagnant image or object changes and evolves when put to motion. While a student at CIA, you will create narrative and experimental animation that bring both characters and environments to life. Getting a degree in animation can lead you to multiple paths as any degree can. The paths that you can take from an animation degree are a 3D character animator, a game designer, a storyboard artist, an animator, and an independent filmmaker. There are multiple animation courses at CIA, including 2D/3D compositing for animation, 3D texture, mapping, digital lighting, acting + directing, advanced 3D animation, and many more. Anthony Scalmato is just one of many talented CIA faculty member. He has a degree in animation, specifically, BFA from CIA University. He is the Department Chair of Animation and the Interim Department Chair of Game Design at the Cleveland Institute of Art. He has created more than a hundred published works which have been viewed on television, web and mobile devices. Before joining CIA, Scalmato worked as a Senior Creative Developer at American Greetings where he provided animations, illustrations and art direction for products that are viewed globally by millions of people every month. His clients include Applebee’s, Disney, Pixar, Sony, UPS, Taylor Swift, Wal-mart, M & M’s, Ferraro Chocolates and many other fortune 500 companies. In 2011, Scalmato was awarded the American Greetings Chairman’s Award for Creativity and Innovation. He has also received over a dozen “Best Animation” awards from film festivals around the world. In addition to teaching, he continues to work as a freelance artist and contractor for studios.

7. Justin says:

An alumni who interested me was Scott Colosimo a motorcycle designer who majored in industrial design. Just the idea of industrial design is odd to me yeah someone has to do it but I didn’t think you’d have to study one specific field for it. Currently he’s employed at Cleveland cycle works as part of a team of designers trying to create and improve motorcycles.

8. Andrea says:

One major I was particularly interested in was illustration. I love books and I love art and illustration is the perfect combination of those two things. There are also other illustration careers that don’t involve books that I find interesting such as being a character artist/designer or storyboard artist. Unfortunately, there was only one alumni profile for an illustration major and this person’s career was not particularly interesting to me. In the general collection of alumni profiles I did notice a guy named Frank Kobak who designs shoes and that is pretty cool. Frank Kobak’s official title is “Senior Shoe Designer” with Frye Shoes. Kobak majored in industrial design and graduated in 2003. He now works in New York City designing shoes for the company along with other designers. One thing I find interesting about Kobak is that he majored in industrial design and he now designs shoes. I guess I didn’t really think about shoes that way. Additionally, it’s not every day that you read about someone who designs fancy leather shoes.

9. Jasmine says:

A major that I am very interested in would have to be the animation department. I have always loved cartoons because of the stories they can tell and how much control the artist had over the narrative of the story from their artwork. So, when I was looking through the CIA alumni and found that Zack Petroc was an animator for Disney, it automatically drew me in. Zach Petroc graduated from CIA in 1997 with a BFA in sculpture, and like previously stated, he now works for Disney Feature Animation. Some major projects that many would know him for would be for “Tangled”, “Moana”, “Wreck-It Ralph”, and “Big Hero 6”. Sense he is working for Disney’s Animation department, he’s always working with many other animators to make these large production films that take years to make. In his interview that was on CIA’s Feature Stories category, he talked about the ending scene in “Big Hero 6” that came after the credits took two months to make. After reading Zack Petroc’s alumni profile and five question interview, it just farther inspires me to go into the career of Animation of film. I really enjoyed these films that he had a hand with production in and I know a lot of others did too.

Petroc’s Alumni File- http://www.cia.edu/alumni/alumni-profiles/zack-petroc
    Interview- http://www.cia.edu/news/stories/grad-is-sculptor-behind-disneys-big-hero-6

10. Michael says:

One major I found very interesting at the Cleveland Institute of Art was game design. Playing video games is one of my favorite things to do either alone or with friends. I started to think about career choices and what I could do that I would love and video games fell under that list. Robert Brown, an assistant professor and co-chair of game design at CIA, has been working with game design professionally for years. Although, he almost didn’t become a game designer however. He had other interests including martial arts, acting, video games and drawing. Brown tried to be a tornado chaser but quickly found out he didn’t like getting so close. He wanted to do something that could include that of martial arts, video games, and drawing and found that he could make his own video games and draw his own characters. After finishing CIA in 2007, Brown worked as a game developer for EA Sports in Florida and created characters for NFL Madden and NCAA football games for the Playstation and Xbox 360. He’s working to fill out the curriculum. Currently sophomores focus on basic game constructs, theory and strategies as they study and design simple games. As juniors, they learn about specific techniques and technologies along with getting lessons on concept development, team-based work and project management. As seniors, they are challenged to put it all to use. I chose Robert Brown because we have a similar common interest which is the love of video games and video game design.

11. Samuel O. says:

Jeff Harter is an Assistant Professor and Chair of Illustration who teaches illustration classes at the Cleveland Institute of Art. Harter was an Assistant Animator for Disney on well known films such as Hercules, Mulan, and Tarzan. He then later on became a Supervising Character Artist for the Winnie the Pooh characters at Disney Consumer Products. Jeff was also the creator of the animated comedy “Packages from Planet X” that aired on Disney XD. He was also the creator behind the comedy “Boy, Girl, Dog, Cat, Mouse, Cheese” which was a concept in development by Cartoon Network and Disney XD.

Jeff Harter has a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Illustration and a Master’s Degree also in Illustration. Jeff teaches at Cleveland Institute of Art as an Assistant Professor and Chair of Illustration. He submits illustrations to clients on a national level.

Illustration is what interested me the most of all the majors but I could not find an alumni profile that stood out. But then I saw Jeff Harter’s work on the side bar. I really like his style of art and how much emotion is put into the characters. What actually surprised me was he worked on three well known Disney films. Someday I would like to be able to create characters for people like what Jeff does and make something a lot of people will see.

12. Trystin says:

Robert Brown is a current Assistant Professor/Co-Chair of Game Design for Video Game Design at CIA (Cleveland Institute of Art) He grew up in Cleveland and had many other passions such as martial arts, acting, video games and, of course, drawing. He has taught video game design for about 10 years at Media Design School which was in New Zealand. He has worked with electronic arts as a character modeler and texture artist as well as sculpting more than 300 characters. He has worked on texture pipeline and workflow for next generation gaming consoles.*94* I figured if i was going to write about a specific design field i should do one i about something i love such as video games.. Brown tried to be a tornado chaser but soon found out he didn’t like getting so close to them. Robert Brown is a great choice for me because we both love video games and we both love martial arts along with design and we both are able to implement the things we love into our work. I relate to him pretty close and i think that its important to have some connection with someone in the same mindset as you when looking for new inspirations.

13. Caitlyn says:

A major that interests me is Game Design, but there are no Alumni listed, so I decided to choose the Sculpture and Expanded Media major. The CIA Alumni whose job most interests me is Paul Timman – Graduate of ’95. Paul is a Tattoo Artist at Sunset Strip Tattoo, sought-after for his tribal and traditional Japanese Designs. Paul works on projects for Ink Dish, a company who puts Paul’s unique designs on platters, bowls, cups, etc. Paul usually works alone – because he is a tattoo artist. Paul’s tattoo shop – Sunset Strip Tatoo – is located in Los Angeles, California on Sunset Boulevard. His work grabbed my attention because his style is recognizable due to Japanese culture with its detail and it gave me a feeling of uniqueness with the slight twists he puts on some of his works. His tattoos have very clean lines and very nice detail, as well as smooth color schemes. He has tattooed celebrities in his past, and that would be something cool to say I have done if I ever reach that goal in my life. I also admire his work because he is a Tatoo Artist and I have a great love for tattoos in general.

Find Paul’s Alumni profile here: http://www.cia.edu/alumni/alumni-profiles/paul-timman
    His site can be found here: http://www.sunsetstriptattoo.com/paul.html

14. Jordyn says:

i do really doing illustrator thing like drawing thing on computer or make game. i wasn’t planning to take digtial graphic design in any college. but i some good skill to be able use illustrator, for an example if i want set up my own company or whatever it is. i can really design my own logo which saves a lot money from spending a lot on the other designer who designs for you. my goal i for college is trying to take computer networking administrator but this college don’t have that program.