The Writing Is On The Wall

Take a few minutes to visit the link below which includes a brief video about a type-based installation project created for Sony Music by designer Alex Fowkes. After you check out the links provided, go to Behance (www.behance.com) or Communication Arts (www.commarts.com) and locate an equally amazing type-based design. Please post a comment which a brief description of the design and why you selected it. Finally, make sure that you include/attach the design that you choose with your post.

Sony Corporate Office Signage Video
Alex Fowkes Interview

1. I this design for a couple of reasons. It’s very fun and colorful. Even though they are all cursive fonts, and some of them aren’t colored, they all in a way stand out. I like how the words that are colored are colored different way, for example ones got a paint feel going on, one is working with a gradient, one is very multicolored, and one is only working with one color.

2. Mackenzie says:

I chose this photo because it shows the blue sky along with people enjoying it. I also like the contrast between the people in the photo as well.

• Anderson says:

Make sure that you are following the directions in the blog post. This post asked you to identify a type-based (text/letters) design to share with us like the example that I provided by Alex Fowkes.

3. Chasity Venia says:

Ive chose this art because it looks isolated. Kind of what we are today, isolated in our houses. Everything is cramped inside of this photo in a small glass globe it seems. Therese a painting, it reminded me how much i like painting and drawing things. Along with a chair, relaxation. Also, a cactus and some other things that could be explained. Anywho, This picture reminds me or someone being isolated like us right now, and I thought it would be a nice photo to use.

• Anderson says:

4. Gwen Shipman says:

I chose this design by Maarten Deckers because it’s subtlety caught my eye. The large, flowing letters spell out ‘change is automatic, progress is not’. The design is actually made out of layers of tape on a white wall, making the design itself very subtle and hard to see from a distance. The 3D nature of the design means in certain lighting it becomes far more visible, and has an interesting look to it. As a whole, the design feels dreamy, or almost fleeting. Go too fast, and you’ll miss it.

5. Ja' Von Grier says:

I chose this photo because this photo was taken in Japan, which is the most beautiful place out pf the country. This photo also shows the aesthetic of what it’s like in the night time

6. Hannah Green says:

I like this photo because it symbolizes something important to me. I am always different in a crowd of people (at least that’s how I feel) But I feel this way sometimes. I have learned that I shouldn’t hide my personality. This photo shows how in a field of Hyacinths be a daisy. I always try to hold back and act different but as days go on I have to learn and teach myself to be different and not let people change me. I am who I am and I shouldn’t have to change myself in order for people to like me.

• Anderson says:

7. I decided to pick this one design because of the way the color of the letters is being transformed or blended together. It uses text as well as imagery. This one stood out the most to me because of the imagery along with the words and color. This image is trying to sell something.

8. Connor Orns says:

I chose this picture from Star Wars, and it has Darth Maul, Darth Vader, Kylo Ren, and Darth Sidious. I chose this picture because Star Wars holds a big place in my heart, and the contrast is pretty good even though there are multiple focal points, and the balance is perfect, and the artist of this design didn’t make a rainbow, he used few colors, I also think the picture looks cool.

9. I chose this photo, created by Edison Chen, for its vibrant and well-toned colors, along with it being a 3d creation, for this is very cool. The typing along the wall “it’s a living” is an eyepopper, using technique and placement to its advantage.

10. Cassidy says:

I really like this one. The colors are really nice and the font style was a good pick!

11. Jordan Swartz says:

I picked this design because of the design of the words. The contrast between the color makes it a very good design. The yellow grabs your attention aganist the black background.

12. Ava Cappelletty says:

I chose this piece of artwork because I adore the colors they used in in,They are soft and very warm. It’s a calming photo to look at.Plus there style is made of rounder shapes which makes it seem more peaceful.

• Anderson says:

13. Logan Miller says:

I chose this picture because the color scheme caught my eye. The picture is very colorful and different. It reminds me of an old cartoon show that I watched when I was young. The color blend into each other and cluttered together. If you stare long enough you can see different feature of picture.

• Anderson says:

14. I chose this design because I like the style of it. Also it reminds me that a boy is following the girl based on the shadow. Plus I like the colors that were used in this design because it really stands out. Lastly it kinda makes you question why someone is following the girl.

15. Brittany Sieja says:

I chose this design because I like the style of it. Also it reminds me that a boy is following the girl based on the shadow. Plus I like the colors that were used in this design because it really stands out. Lastly it kinda makes you question why someone is following her.

• Anderson says:

16. Savannah Kowalinski says:

I chose this design because it really stood out to me with the warm colors in the back and the dragon, which is a green, at the front. All the colors in the are really soft and warm. The artwork has rounder shapes which gives it a more soft look to it and make it seem more peaceful.

• Anderson says:

17. Aiden Schultz says:

I chose this design by Syafidzal Daud because I like how the type is not side to side. It looks to be more like a stair case type feel to it. The gray and black really jump from the red background due to the text being darker. Overall, I think that the text is really eye catching and interesting to looks at.

18. Ian Heyne says:

I chose this design by Bijit Barat because I found it to be really interesting and gave me a feeling of excitement. The design is cool as it’s well balanced, colors mesh well, and the typography is fitting for the animated movie. The splashes of spray paint gives it a uniqueness and each letter has a comic book style to them. Also the positioning of the title in the center caught my attention besides the big “what’s up danger” typography above and below the title. Another thing that I thought was interesting was the 3-D effect that the designer made with the typography. Overall, the design is really cool and represents the movie perfectly.

19. Jose Rivera says:

I like this image because it’s peaceful and the colors are not distracting from the girl in the front.

• Anderson says:

20. Hilda Ismail says:

I chose this TYPE based design because of how the colors attracted my eye. It a dim coloring but also light at the same time focusing the lightness off of the words. It’s basic but complex in a way. The concept is basic; just nice glazed bags and labels topping each other with words yet the color choice is a good way to attract my eye. I can tell the material of the color is plastic.

21. I chose this design for a coupe of reasons, the first is becuase I like Lebron James and what he stands for. He is seen as an inspiration to some due to not only his talent on the basketball court but also how he helps those who are under privilaged. I think the design is eye catching as well well with the word king in big letters and going vertically on the page.

22. Nick Van Sant says:

I chose this design by Lex Wilson because it is unique in its own way. He uses the phrase “That sinking feeling” and by using straight text, he represents that phrase in a sort of imagery type way. The colors used are very limited but that helps with the mood of the photo because this phrase wouldn’t be something that would be bright and colorful. Overall, I like the work this guy does because it is something so simple but really intriguing to look at.

23. Jalen Terry says:

I chose this design by Alexander Babariko because the font of the text is unique which makes the design standout

24. maddie orwig says:

the image i have chosen was an image that has a phrase along with some imagery to make it more interesting. The artist uses the line “make it rain”, and on top of it to make it more interesting they add some water droplets on top of the text to give it the effect of the saying. the colors used in the design are pink and white, two very different colors and they are both balanced in the photo. neither one of them is too overpowering

25. Hannah Zapiecki says:

I chose this design because while it is fairly simple, it resonated with me, and it is very interesting and pleasing to look at.

26. Sage Wilson says:

I chose a piece with a white background and black cursive lettering that says “make it simple”. I chose this piece because, as it says, it’s simple. I really like black and white pieces and this only uses black and white, and I always like fonts that look like handwriting, which is what this is.

27. Matt Schmaus says:

I picked this image because I really like the layer style of it how it’s like the logo started big and continues to shrink and the 3D look of it with the cool colors trading back and forth making the the shoe with the logo and their tag line this is a super cool concept with the layers and I really like it not only for the design aspect but the brand itself I enjoy wearing.

28. Angie Dula says:

29. Angie Dula says:

I believe this type-based design is very interesting and pleasing to look at! I like the use of colors and the shapes. (i had to re-post my comment because the file wouldnt attach)

30. Destiny Dalton says:

The font that I found is called AR2 and i love this font because it is somewhat simply but also is different/interesting. I love how the letters and short/shushed down and that they are flat but still has dimension.

31. Ryan Engard says:

This picture that i look at is a man looking up into space. when i think of space i think endless possibility. when i think of endless possibility’s i think you can do anything that makes you have and that is the beauty of endless possibility. that is why space is so beautiful to me. i love this picture for showing that if you don’t think as i do. this picture makes you feel that. the man standing in the middle looking up just show you how far you can go if you just put your mind to it.

32. wesley Jackson says:

i chose this image because i like it simple and it just have a white backround and a easy way of witting , also the letters are in black and it is in cursive but its also painted in cursive.

33. vincent says:

For this image, I chose some branding for a thing called Taverne Tour 2020. I was attracted to this design because of the boldness, the bright pop of color the neon green gives it, and the simply wonderful speckled gradients. And then there’s the font itself! The kerning is close together and evenly spaced while the seriffs are sharp and straight-edge, making me think of fonts like Mordova by 24DesignStd and Amaz Obitaem Ostrov by Amazingmax.

here’s a link to the source material on behance: https://www.behance.net/gallery/93660033/Taverne-Tour-2020

34. Ryan Engard says:

this design is a marvel spider-man design and it shows a good white, black, and red color scheme . this design also has a great texture in the black back ground it looks to me almost like if i feel it it would be rough and then the white and red circles also give a nice bumpy feeling for a texture. this design also gives a nice feeling as if u’m looking through a hole in the wall because some of the building are cut off at certain points. i think design turned out really well its a great design to look at.